Basic Facts About Hearing Loss http://www.hearingloss.org/content/advertising
* About 20 percent of Americans, 48 million, report some degree of hearing loss.
* At age 65, one out of three people has a hearing loss.
* 60 percent of the people with hearing loss are either in the work force or in educational settings.
* About 2-3 of every 1,000 children in the US are born with a detectable hearing loss in one or both ears.
* Almost 15% of school-age children (ages 6-19) have some degree of hearing loss.
* One in five teenagers have significant hearing loss.
The Loop System
· The induction loop system transmits magnetic energy to the telecoil in hearing aids or cochlear implants through a wire connected to the sound source that circles a room or arena. The sound is transmitted directly to the hearing aid or cochlear implant electromagnetically by the loop with no extra equipment save the telecoil.There is a misconception that an excellent sound system can achieve the same function as the Loop.
· Also known as T-coil, the telecoil is a small copper coil included in most hearing aids and cochlear implant processors. When paired with the loop system it can connect the listener directly to the sound source, eliminating background noise.
· The loop wire of the hearing loop system is typically installed on the floor around the periphery of a room but can be installed in the ceiling. *A Church can choose to have the Loop installed in a designated area to help reduce the cost of the system if needed.
Several grounds-facilities managers at parishes recommend that any parish installing the Loop hire a company that specializes in this area because it requires a specific expertise and skill set.
“People with hearing difficulty are an important part of our ministry,” said Msgr. Robert Schulte. “Among other things, the looping system eliminates background noise, so the user can clearly hear and enjoy the Mass. Thus far feedback has been positive, we regularly hear from parishioners who say they are pleased.”
Father Jacob Runyon says of the system, “There are two real benefits to the system. It helps people hear better. Any kind of big space can have echoes. I’ve already heard from people that they can hear more clearly. The second benefit is they use their own equipment. They have their own hearing aids. It works really great.”